Tell Us Once

Tell Us Once is a HM Government service that can assist you by notifying a death to most government organisations on your behalf. Tell Us Once is available to everyone living in England, Scotland & Wales. 

After registering with the TUO service, they will then inform the relevant departments or services of the death by sending the information directly to them. This means you will not have to telephone, write, or send death certificates to all the individual departments.

It also saves you the cost of providing multiple copies of the death certificates and the time and stress of repeating the same information to many different departments.

It is worth asking the registrar about the TUO service when you go to your appointment to register the death as they can give you further information and help you register for the service.

Tell Us Once

Here is a summary of how the TUO process works:

  • Contact the register for births, deaths and marriages and make an appointment to see them.
  • Attend the pre-arranged appointment and register the death
  • Register for the TUO service either face to face with the registrar, online or by telephone to notify relevant providers for benefits/services to be stopped and/or reassessed
  • You will then receive a confirmation letter, checklist and privacy statement
  • All relevant departments and services will now be notified of the death in order to update their records and take any necessary further action according to their business process 


Before you use/register for the Tell Us Once Bereavement Service

You’ll need the following details of the person who died:

  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • Driving licence number
  • Vehicle registration number
  • Passport number


You’ll also need:

  • Details of any benefits or entitlements they were getting (state pension etc)
  • Details of any local council services they were getting (blue badge etc)
  • Name, address, telephone number and the national insurance number or date of birth of any surviving spouse or civil partner
  • Name and address of their next of kin - if there is no surviving spouse or civil partner or their spouse or civil partner is not able to deal with their affairs
  • Name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money), known as their ‘executor’ or ‘administrator’
  • Details of any public sector or armed forces pension schemes they were getting or paying in to
  • You need permission from any surviving spouse or civil partner, the next of kin, executor, administrator or anyone who was claiming joint benefits or entitlements with the person who died, before you give their details.

Once registered the TUO service can inform the following departments:

  • Incapacity Benefit/Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Bereavement Benefit
  • State Pension
  • Pension Credit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Universal Credit
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • UK passport
  • Veterans UK
  • England and Wales NHS
  • Scottish NHS, Teachers, Police and Fire
  • My Civil Service Pension
  • Armed Forces Pension and/or Compensation Scheme administered by Veterans UK
  • Participating Local Government Pension Funds  
  • Children’s Services
  • Library Services
  • Sundry Debts 
  • Electoral Services
  • Council Housing
  • Housing Benefit
  • Adult Services
  • Blue Badge Scheme
  • Council Tax
  • Concessionary Travel
  • Money owed to councils
  • Family Information Services
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Child Benefit
  • Tax Free Child Care
  • Help to Save Scheme
  • Personal taxation
  • Driving licences
  • Registered Keeper of a Motor Vehicle

You can also find further information and register via the website here:

How TUO Works

How TUO works